What is STEM/STEAM Day?
STEM/STEAM Day is a day dedicated to promoting and celebrating the fields of science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. It's a chance for people of all ages to engage in hands-on activities, workshops, and events that showcase the wonders of these disciplines. From building robots to creating art installations, STEM/STEAM Day offers a wide range of opportunities to learn, explore, and have fun!
Why is STEM/STEAM Day Important?
STEM/STEAM Day is not just about having a good time (although that's definitely a big part of it!). It's also about inspiring and encouraging the next generation of innovators, problem solvers, and critical thinkers. By engaging in STEM/STEAM activities, children and adults alike can develop important skills such as creativity, problem-solving, and collaboration. Plus, it's a chance to discover new passions and interests that could potentially lead to exciting career paths!
Materials Needed: large foam dice, Kwik Stix, and printable counting sheet
- Roll the dice
- Match the number rolled with the number on the printed sheet
- Color in that box
- Repeat until all boxes are colored
Check out this craft on Instagram @developing.minds
Materials Needed: Magic Stix, paper, and counting objects
- Draw raindrops onto a piece of paper
- Display a color code above with each color representing a different number
- Write simple math problems in each raindrop
- Solve each one by coloring in the correct color based on what number that color represents
- Repeat until all math problems are solved
Check out this craft on Instagram @momthemage
Materials Needed: 12 rocks, 1 long stick, Kwik Stix, Playdough or clay, and sunshine
- Label rocks from 1-12 in different colors using Kwik Stix
- Form rocks in a circle in order going clock wise
- Place a ball of playdough or clay in the center
- Place a stick into the playdough
- Practice telling time with this DIY sun dial!
Check out this craft on Instagram @happyparenthood
Materials Needed: wooden blocks, Kwik Stix, and ice cream sticks
- Color your ice cream sticks in different colored patterns with Kwik Stix
- Paint a bunch of cubes in different colors and scramble
- Match each ice cream stick pattern with the singular wooden cubes
Check out this craft on Instagram @keepme_busy
Materials Needed: cardboard, Kwik Stix, construction paper, and scissors
- Paint several ladybugs onto a piece of cardboard
- Cut small circles out from your pieces of construction paper
- Place onto each ladybug
- Count how many spots each ladybug has and label
Check out this craft on Instagram @kidscorneroc
- Trace each shaped tile with Wonder Stix and name which shape that you traced
- Then place the shapes back in their correct spot
- Wipe off and try again!
Check out this craft on Instagram @abalancedchildhood
- Use Wonder Stix to trace each shape on the playmat
- Flip over and trace numbers
- Wipe away and repeat!
Check out this craft on Instagram @momtoolbox
Materials Needed: Magic Stix, and printable counting sheet
- Write numbers 1-100 in a row in each box
- Color coordinate each row in the order of a rainbow
- Use a new color for each group of 10 numbers
Check out this craft on Instagram @isateony